Tuesday 14 April 2009

Inspiration - Jackson Pollock

Posted by Picasa



When I am in my painting, I'm not aware of what I'm doing. It's only after a sort of "get acquainted" period that I see what I have been about. I have no fears about making changes, destroying the image, etc., because the painting has a life of its own”.
- quoted in Possibilities I, Winter 1947-48

This is exactly what inspired us about Jackson Pollock’s paintings. They were created upon a huge blank canvas, and in a trance like state Pollock would almost dance whilst scattering and dripping colour everywhere. Not quite knowing nor planning what he was creating, yet through his energy of movement and passion, he would result in the most spectacular array of textures and imagery.

This was our founding inspiration for our umbrellas. The idea of a blank canvas waltzing the streets and interacting with the rain creating an array of colours in it’s very own individual splashes as the rain slowly but surely turns the blank canvas into colour.

1 comment:

  1. your umbrellas are some of the hottest designs I have seen in a long time. Who knew walking in the rain could be so much fun?

    ReplyDelete